Eggplants are peaking right now, in our garden and in the markets, so I wanted to share a round up of quality eggplant recipes to inspire you! Here’s a tip for picking a great eggplant at the farmer’s market or store: find one that is relatively heavy for its size. It will have less seeds and more delicious flesh. Papa Bird (our family’s resident farmer) says homegrown eggplants are ready to pick when you push in with your thumb and it leaves an imprint. He recently put up a shade barrier to protect our growing eggplant from the strong San Diego sun. For more tips on cooking eggplant, check out this post.
EGGPLANT RECIPES FROM BABY BIRDS FARM
Some of my family’s favorite, “regular rotation” recipes highlight eggplant.
- Baba Ganoush: a garlicky dip, similar to hummus, and delicious with veggies to dip. Makes great baby food, too!
- Pomegranate, Eggplant and Lamb Moussaka (above): a layered dish that is sweet and savory and spiced with cardamom and cinnamon.
EGGPLANT RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
Maria Nasir of foodaholic is a Pakistani home cook and caterer turned international food blogging star. She has lot’s of delicious eggplant recipes from around the world. But this kid-friendly appetizer caught my eye:
- Eggplant Roll Ups: kid-friendly but with a delicious vinaigrette to please picky foodie parents.
Another international blogger I follow, Azlin Bloor of Lin’s food, recently shared the above treat featuring aubergine (eggplant with a British accent):
EGGPLANT RECIPES FROM FAMILY SPICE
Laura of Family Spice features eggplant in both Italian and Persian-inspired dishes.
- Roasted Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich from Laura of Family Spice (above): a nice, non-fried version of an eggplant parm.
- Pickled Eggplant and Vegetables with Pomegranate (torshi-yeh bademjan va anar): I have never even thought of using this combination of flavors and I am dying to try it.
- Persian Eggplant Stew (Khoreshteh Qiemeh Bademjoon) (pictured above).
EGGPLANT RECIPES FROM SIMMWORKS FAMILY BLOG
Danielle of Simmworks Family Blog makes a lot of delicious family meals that are often quick and easy for busy families – without sacrificing taste.
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan: an easy family dinner that will please adults and kids.
- Eggplant French Bread Pizza: simple, with just a few ingredients and perfect for lunch.
For even more eggplant ideas:
10 Fantastic Eggplant Recipes from Simmworks Family Blog.